On-Call Household Cleanup Service
Please note due to a high demand certain dates are booked to capacity for the On-Call Household Cleanup Service. Please be aware that the dates displayed will be the first available for your selected property.
Wollongong City Council provides its residents with an On-Call Household Cleanup Service. Residents must book a service prior to placing items on the kerbside and premises are entitled to two (2) collections each Financial Year.
Your booked On-Call Household Cleanup will take place on your next Bin Collection Day, provided the booking was made no less than two (2) full business days in advance. For example, to make a booking for a Thursday collection you must book by the previous Monday otherwise the collection will occur the following week.
In peak times there may be some delay and the next available collection date could be up to four (4) weeks. Please note certain dates may not present for valid Cleanup booking selection. This is due to maximum demand being reached for that day in your collection area. To ensure you don't miss out, book in advance as there are limited bookings available.
Your On-Call Household Cleanup allocation expires at 5:00 p.m. on the 30th of June each year and is based on the date of the service, not the date the booking was made. Unused Cleanup allocations can NOT be transferred to the next financial year and booked Cleanups cannot be cancelled.
If you live in a Multi-Unit Complex
Residents living in a multi-unit complex (townhouses, villas, units etc.) with nine (9) or more units will need to contact their managing body (Body Corporate, Strata Manager or Department of Housing NSW Officer) to organise a Cleanup for their complex.
Once the Cleanup has been confirmed by REMONDIS Harbour Cities, the managing body will need to notify residents of the collection date. If there are eight (8) units or less in your complex you can book a collection service directly with the REMONDIS Harbour Cities Team.
Managing Bodies will need to complete the booking form and send directly to REMONDIS Harbour Cities Team. To download the multi-unit booking form, please click here
On-Call Household Cleanup rules
To ensure your Cleanup materials are collected
- You must book your On-Call Household Cleanup before placing your items out for collection
- Once booked, place items out by 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day, but no more than 24 hours before. Note: If illegal dumping occurs at your property due to early presentation of Cleanup material, you will be responsible for the removal of all materials
- Small Items to be placed in unwanted boxes or bags (left open for visual inspection by Remondis Harbour Cities Collection Team)
- Cleanup Recycling items to be neatly placed in a separate pile next to your Cleanup waste items. These items are in addition to the two cubic metres (2m3) allowance but do have restrictions. Refer below for further details.
- Place items out the front of your own property at your normal collection point for your bins
- Place all items neatly, off the road and footpaths
- Do not place more than two cubic metres (2m3) of waste out for collection, which is approximately one small box trailer load (2m wide x 1m height x1m deep)
- Do not place items out more than 24 hours before the scheduled collection date. Fines may apply
- Do not place items out that are unsuitable for collection. They will not be collected. Fines may apply. Check your Cleanup Ruler in your waste pack for what you can and cannot place out for collection.
- Do not place any liquid items out for collection (including flammable or non-flammable)
- Do not place Items that exceed two metres (2m) in length and items must be light enough to be reasonably moved by two (2) people
- Do not place items out after the collection has taken place. We will not return
- Booked Cleanups cannot be cancelled
Important: Ensure there is at least 1 metre of space between your Household Cleanup items and your Bins placed out for collection and there are no cars, trees, power lines or obstacles blocking access to your collection items.
Cleanup materials must be
- Bagged or boxed (left open for visual inspection by Remondis Harbour Cities Collection Team)
- Placed between gutter and footpath in front of your premises, but not obstructing pedestrian access
- Placed neatly to ensure the Harbour Cities Waste team can safely access and handle your items
- Placed securely so they won’t fall or blow onto the roadway or footpath.
Cleanup Items for Recycling
Your Cleanup Recycling items are collected by a separate vehicle. Items for recycling must be placed in a separate pile next to your Cleanup Waste and may only include:
- Mattresses or Ensemble/Bases (legs and/or wheels removed)
Maximum 8 per collection
Maximum 4 per collection
Maximum 2 per collection
- Computer Peripherals
Keyboards, printers, cables and hard drives
Maximum 6 per collection. Car and Motorbike only
- Small Scrap Metal Items
Maximum quantity 1m3. Less than 2m in length. Items must contain at least 70% metal.
Cleanup Waste Items – Maximum 2m3 per collection.
General Household items piled neatly, with small items in unwanted boxes or bags on the kerbside.
- Small Furniture Items & Small Appliances
Chair, bedside table, lamps
- Baby Items & Toys
Prams, bassinet, stroller, baby bath, car seats and toys
- Garden Tools & Equipment
Hoses, pots, plastic containers, bins and small garden tools
- Sporting Goods & Camping Equipment
- Clothing & Shoes (unfit for charity)
Ensure clothing is bagged neatly
- Rugs & Carpet Scraps
Pieces must be less than 2m lengths, maximum of 16m2 (i.e. a 4m x 4m piece cut into 2m lengths)
Items You CANNOT Place Out for Cleanup
- No Household Waste or Food Scraps
These items belong in your Residual Waste Bin (Red Lid)
- No Whitegoods
See your local paper for removal services or see Other Waste Disposal Providers
- No Building / Renovation Material or Commercial Waste
i.e. no timber, asbestos, concrete, gyprock, bricks, sinks, bathtubs, kitchen cabinets etc
- No Sheet / Pane Glass or Mirrors
- No Liquids, Fuels, Chemicals, Paints, Oils, Batteries or Gas Bottles
- No Garden Vegetation (Organics)
i.e. grass, twigs, branches, tree stumps, dirt or rocks
- No Items greater than 2.00m in length
- No Items too heavy for two (2) people to easily lift
- No Medical Waste
- No Recyclables
These items belong in your Recycle Bin (Yellow Lid) see the Recycling Collection Guide
IMPORTANT: These items will NOT be collected if presented. It is the responsibility of the resident to dispose of these items correctly at a licensed waste management facility. Fees and charges may apply.
What can I do with materials that are NOT accepted in the Cleanup?
Wollongong City Council has many different services to help you manage your waste. These include:
To print an On-Call Household Cleanup Service guide click here.
To book your Cleanup click here